Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Horrible Hilly Hundred and Hotter than Hell!

Yeah, that was my Saturday. I took off a little before 700 and Sam was with me for the first 10 miles as I headed out to Fitzhugh from my place downtown. The goal was Johnson City and 100 miles.

All I can say about this ride is I did it. It was horrible and it was really really hot by 10 AM and I was nowhere near completing this ride. I drank almost 12 water bottles and I did all my nutrition the way I had planned. I felt full, tired and like shit at the end. (wondering how in the hell I will move my legs through 26.2) My computer said 98 miles at the end of it all and I was just ready to get OFF my bike. I had some really bad issues on my saddle with my girly parts that I need to get fixed by this weekend's long ride. We will see.

On Sunday I got up to head down to Auditorium Shores to see friends and past participants from TNT do the Cap Tex Triathlon. It was fun to see friends race and to see one of my coaches, Andrea Fisher, win the Olympic distance! After that I got some food in my stomach and rested my feet for a few hours before meeting Mama T for my 2 hour run. She did the first 7 mile loop with me and then I took off on the 5 mile loop and then some after that. As I was going through the first loop, I looked at T and said.."I don't know how I am going to do the second loop?" She replied, "Let's focus on this loop." Yup, she was right. I have to battle with what is in that moment. I can't look ahead. I can't be in the water and be thinking about the 112 mile bike...or be on the bike and think about the run...I have to focus on the NOW and get through what is right before me.

I finished the 2 hour run with 13.5 miles under my belt, went home, showered and met up with some folks who were celebrating their accomplishments from earlier in the day!!

Monday was a super lazy day as something I ate at Uncle Billy's the night before did NOT agree with mine or Sammy's stomach. Yeah...food revenge part 2. I kept myself hydrated and got some good sleep and then got up for a 40 minute run this morning. It didn't feel awesome, but I did it.

That is what I also learned this weekend in talking to Pat Evoe after my 100 mile ride. At this point in the training, it is about getting up and doing what is on my schedule. I may have some really tough days and some really good days...but this is what preparing for an Ironman is about. (I am also finding that right now I am FOREVER TIRED, wanting to go to bed by like 900 PM.) My mental game seems to be on right now as each day presents new challenges.

Less than 4 weeks friends. I am scared.

No comments: