Monday, May 12, 2008

The Rookie, Ride from New Braunfels & Run

It was a good, long tough weekend in the world of training. And as I look ahead, it doesn't get any "easier". I have decided my new mantra is "DO THE WORK. NO EXCUSES."

I got up on Saturday morning to head to the Rookie Tri in New Braunfels. It is tough racing a sprint when you have been training for distance! I ended up with a 1:03, which I was happy with. My swim was strong, the bike was fair (not used to going hard for only 11 miles....all this distance training makes intensity seem weird) and then the run I did 7:56 miles.

After the race about 7 of us that rode the 50 miles back to Austin in order to get in some longer bike mileage. It was fun, good pace back to Austin....but it was HOT. I mean....by the time I pulled into J&A's shop at 230, it was like 98 degrees and I was ready to GET OFF MY BIKE, as were the rest of us.

The next morning, swim practice with T3....and well, that was funny. The workout hurt, I couldn't get into any kind of rhythm and possibly at one point there may have been a few tears. So I did not go on my 3 hour run until later in the afternoon....

The run went fine until the final half hour when I just wanted it to be over. My legs were hurting, burning....not feeling good. But I finished it. I finished my longest run to date, putting in almost 20 miles and I am glad I persevered through it cause then I headed to Homeslice for my Fireman's 4 and pizza and all was right with the world! (Is it weird that they expect me on Sunday night?)

Here is what my week looks like:

Today, (Monday) 2 hour hilly ride with Sammy.
Tuesday- swim and Track workout.
Wednesday- 2 hour ride (with Sammy) with some sprints.
Thursday- 80 minute run & Open Water Swim
Friday- Recovery Swim
Saturday- 6 hour ride, 60 minute run off the bike
Sunday- 2.5 hour run

Say your prayers folks, it is gonna be a long week!

1 comment:

Brian Kirk said...

you are so strong mentally about your training. i love reading about how you overcome some of those really tough days. no doubt that training for an ironman is much more than a physical challenge.