Friday, June 27, 2008

The Bike: 112 miles

So as I head from Swim to Bike into the changing tents I realize I must have had a good swim (once again, not knowing time). A few things about the changing experience...the wetsuit strippers? Yeah, that is the deal. I had two guys yank on the legs and I was on my way to the tents. Got inside and it was TOTAL and UTTER MAYHEM!!! It was so packed that I couldnt' find a volunteer to help me at first or a seat to sit in...but one finally came over and helped me put my arm warmers and jersey on. That is tougher than you think with wet skin. Grabbed helmet and bike shoes and was on my way out....saw the sunscreen folks and they smothered my legs with some SPF and I went to go find my bike!

Headed out onto the first loop and I was feeling good. I had written some messages on my aero bars to keep me in the race as far as nutrition. (DON'T GET BEHIND! SALT EVERY HOUR!! EAT EVERY 30 MINUTES! AERODRINK EVERY 10 MILES! SMILE! THIS IS FUN!!) The first loop I felt great and I stopped to pee once. Now before you all start to write me and tell me to go on the bike, I tried, I could not make it happen. I could not get myself to relax that much. Oh well. The second loop was much harder as the climbs seemed longer and steeper for some reason and it started to play mentally with me. And I had to stop twice to pee and so that was frustrating..it was hard to get back on and gain momentum. Then I looked down and saw SMILE! on my aero bars...I knew that I had to play it smart. Keep drinking, watch cadence and save my legs for the run. Do not let stupid things get in my head.

As I approached mile 90, I dug pretty damn deep to get back to transition continuing to hydrate and get myself ready for a marathon. I felt good. I felt strong. My final time on the bike was 7:00. I am wondering what it would have been without 3 stops to use el bano. I possibly could have broken 13 hours. Maybe next time? Did I just say that??

No comments: