Monday, June 2, 2008

Uno, Dos, Tres.....Workouts!!!

Here is what the weekend held for me...

First- Friday swim of 2.4 miles. I was headed to the Quarry after work and had written on a piece of paper..you WILL do this today. And that is exactly what happend. 5 laps of the Quarry, 2.4 miles, a new awesome wetsuit (thanks Jack!) and a time that I was really really happy with. Now just add some really cold water and 2000+ athletes, and we will see what happens, right? (insert smile here)

Second-
I had gotten the idea from Michelle (another CdA athlete) to do 2 loops of the Longhorn course on Saturday. Originally I had planned to ride Real Ale but when I realized it didn't start until 830, which means 900 for cycle events, I just didn't want to be on an 85 mile ride in all that heat...and I knew the terrain was some difficult climbing, so my time would be longer. Instead, I took off for Lake Decker with a 630 AM start, my tummy full and ready to go. The first loop was great as I just got my legs moving and played things super smart averaging 16.6 mph for that loop. (I also got lost once so that played with my speed a bit in searching for this road called Monkey) I drank 5 water bottles and did all my nutrition as planned. I took off for the second loop knowing that my friends Randy & Naomi were going to come find me on the course to provide me with support and Naomi was going to ride the last 25-30 miles in with me. They found me at mile 85 and when Randy opened up the back of his car he had COLD COLD water, gatorade, pickles (my absolute favorite on a bike ride!!!) and a PB sandwich for me. I fueled up and Naomi and I took off for the last bit. When I got done my final average was 17.1. I had really kicked it in for the second loop and I felt amazing at the end...in other words...my 60 minute run went really well. It wasn't about speed it was about me feeling comfortable....and I did. (insert another smile)

Third-
After much debate I decided to wait and run Sunday evening. Sunday morning I had not had enough sleep after visiting with some friends the night before and I didn't want to run in the heat of the day. I took off for my 2.75-3 hour run around 615...and man, did it hurt. I am guessing, it is supposed to though right? I mean after 115 mile on the bike the day before, what is going to be comfortable about a 3 hour run. I did some of the run on the trail, some on Lake Austin and Scenic throwing in a few hills. And although it was tough, I finished it and I felt really accomplished at the end. (insert an even bigger smile!!)

Ironman in 19 days and I can't believe that it is here. I need to eat right, sleep and make sure I stay in the mental game. I need to make sure I don't let the taper get me down. I am really looking forward to June 22, 2008. Thanks for all the crazy support friends!

This weeks schedule is:

Monday: DAY OFF!!!!! YIPPEEEEE!!!
Tuesday: swim & tempo run
Wednesday: swim and 90 minute ride
Thursday: Texas Iron Brick workout (PM)
Friday: 75 minute run
Saturday: 60 minute swim and 4.5 hour ride
Sunday: 2-3 hour run, and 30 min recovery swim

One last tough week and then the magic word.....TAPER!!!

4 comments:

Brian Kirk said...

a monster weekend - wow!

Stuart said...

i get tired just reading about all that you do. geez.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

f*cking awesome! Perfect averages on the cycling.Sounds like you stayed within your comfort zone on every workout. Congrats on staying "in tune" with your training. Less than 3 weeks!!!

Aldi26 said...

Way to go! Sounds like an awesome weekend!! You are so ready! :)