Thursday, April 10, 2008

Super Swimmer


So I redeemed myself last night at my Swim session with Chrissie at T3. I did not get up Wednesday morning, because my body is really tired with all that is going on at work and fitting in training, I took the morning to sleep in. (yes, until 730 AM...but that is sleeping in at this point!) I knew I had nothing on my plate on Wednesday night so I would go to swim at night.

I don't want to make a habit of this as swimming at night is so hard, I just want to go home and curl up with a book and go to bed...instead my evening was extended to swim from 710- about 820 and I didn't get home until after 900 after grabbing some food.

What I loved is that because the Arizona folk were not at swim AND the cloudy skies kept people away, I got a lot of personal attention since we only had about 6 people total.

It was a tough workout, some super long sets...2900m total.

The workout began with a 600m warm-up and our final set was a 6X50 with the first two 50s at 90% and the third 50 at 80% (recovery). Repeating this twice. I took off for my first 50 and held it at 51 seconds!!!! (fast for me) Chrissie said, "now you have to hold that and/or get faster." Yikes. Maybe I took off to fast!!?!?!?!? Nope, I surprised myself holing the 51 seconds for the next 50. During the 4th and 5th 50m, I held it at 49 seconds...yeah took off 2 more seconds!!! You must realize that when I came to T3 in November of last year, Mo called me Windmill arms as I motored my way through the water, with no rhyme or reason to my technique. And my 50m was probably well into the 1:15-1:20 mark. To see my times get better AND to do this at the end of a long workout, means I am getting stronger. The hour and twenty minute swim for my Ironman is looking more and more doable!!

I think I will keep swimming after Ironman, just because I am seeing it improve my overall fitness. And I am starting to like it!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't believe I found this blog! It had to be you, this is damned funny that you're training for CdA too. What a pleasure it has been making your acquaintance!
Hopefully we can toss back a beer or two and talk training sometime.
Cathy Bridge
runmecrazie@aol.com