Thursday, March 20, 2008

I ain't slacking...if you were wondering.

I am in Salt Lake City for a few days...new job could be on the horizon. And yes, I did the research and got in the training I needed to. However, I did NOT have a good time in the pool I went to yesterday. Let me tell you my story.

I found the Steiner Aquatic Center (has a 25m indoor pool and a 50m outdoor pool, heated and the view of the mountains is amazing from either indoor or outdoor) I arrive, purchase a new pair of goggles from the front desk as I realized I forgot mine. Found my way to the pool.....my first 1400m went really really well. I was swimming in a lane with one other woman when a third entered and asked if we could circle. We say, sure and I quickly realize they are not there to SWIM, they are there to be recreational. I see that the man in the lane next to me is by himself. I say...I am just gonna move over to his lane and share with him. The woman says, "oh, you are not Mormon." I say "nope." She says, "I can't share the same lane as another man." I decide it is best to just leave this alone and I continue my swim. I was following the workout per Texas Iron, and getting into a rhythm when a big hairy man in a speedo enters my story and my lane. We begin to circle and about 200m later, Hairy Man #3 asks to enter the same lane. (the first man in the lane was also hairy. By now I am severely disgusted as hairy backs make me want to vomit.) We are now circling except that 2 of these men put fins on and start to swim all over me. And I am being serious...one of them swam right over me. I am not quite sure what pool etiquette is but this can't be right. I mean, I was here....FIRST!!!???

At this point I was beyond frustration and didn't want to be in the Salt Lake paper for cussing out one of these individuals so I gracefully get out of the pool....go shower and make my way to City Creek trail. Now this was BEAUTIFUL!! It was right at sunset and I was running along this creek that was in between two mountain passes and all you could really hear was the creek running. I wanted no iPod, just wanted to take it all in. I only ran 40 minutes, but my lungs felt like I had been running 90. A little altitude training never hurt I guess!!

Today...Thursday I didn't get in a workout...it's ok, I did some Trigger Point and will enjoy a good meal with a really great friend. I will get back to Austin tomorrow and will run 60 minutes. Saturday is a bike ride and Sunday is a long run!! Hoo-yah!!

I am sad to say good-bye to Salt Lake....I seriously need my own TV series of showing people where to train while on vacation or on business in other areas. I have found, I can make it happen anywhere. Who wants to fund my show?

3 comments:

Aldi26 said...

See, this is why I stick to the bike and don't swim! :) Although guys riding in sleeveless jerseys have about the same effect on me.

I agree with your analysis of what the right thing to do is. If you get a new job, can I have your old one? :)

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Not sure if I should laugh or throw up!! Austin men are apparently much sexier than SLC men!!

Aldi26 said...

You may not be slacking on the training, but you are slacking on the posting! :)