Tuesday, March 18, 2008

R.I.P Kit, my most favorite bike.



So you all know I am a proud member of Team FELT. I love my bike. I named her Kit because she was certainly an upgrade from my first entry level Giant. And sometimes, she talks to me....I digress.

Maybe it's that "16 year old, you worked a summer job to get a car when you turned 16 feeling." I bought this bike right after cancer. I bought this bike right after a really not-so-fun break-up. (are they ever fun?) And 7 weeks after treatment, this is me racing my first Half Ironman in Florida. I had already signed up for the race 9 months prior, I was going to finish it no matter what.

How did she go? Well, I took her into Jack & Adam's bike shop yesterday for a fit. See, my girly parts when riding?....not so good. As Jack began to examine the saddle and switch a few things out, he noticed the frame was cracked in a part that makes the bike not safe anymore.

Moment of silence please.

Of course, why do I love Jack Murray and his shop? Because not even 24 hours later, Jack had my problem solved. I have a Half Ironman next weekend, I need a bike for that. He got my frame warrantied, and I will pick up a new and improved Felt S22 on Friday, ready to ride Saturday for training.

And then he went even further.....Jack asked if I could keep my old frame (explaining the story to his FELT dealer) just because it symbolizes so much more than a bike to race with. It reminds me of a time when I fought like hell for each day and won. It reminds me that nothing can hold me back and that I beat the odds.

I won't go anywhere else in Austin. Jack & Adam's bike shop has taken care of me since I got off the plane from Florida last year and needed my bikes put together. I love those guys because they understand the small stuff does matter at times.

R.I.P Kit....you were super good to me for 2.5 years of racing. What shall I name my new bike????

2 comments:

Brian Kirk said...

jack & his team rock! as much as i liked the cervelo i couldn't buy from anyone other than J&A's. buying a bike is just the beginning - i wanted a relationship with the team that would be taking care of me for years to come - that's what J&A's bring to the table.

i've posted about "getting what you paid for" a number of times. J&A's is a prime example of this idea.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

My sentiments exactly about J&A...Last year, after having my new Guru for less than one week, a bike rack fell on it at the Skeese Greets Tri and scratched the newly minted custom-painted frame. Jack saw it happen, called me the next week and offered to have it repainted at their cost. He (unnecessarily)took responsibility since they produced the event. Of course, because of IM training, it still hasn't been repainted, but everytime I'm in there, he reminds me to drop it off after AZ!

Needless to say, my 404s are on their way to J&A!

Unpretentious and genuine.