Monday, March 10, 2008

Texas Iron Endurance Camp 2008, Recap

Camp

Camp is an experience that I won’t forget,
Did I love every minute – yeh you bet!
Even sleeping in cabins and Coaches daily talks,
Oh yeh and the skirt that was given if you walked!

We climbed many hills....and went fast going down!
We swam in the river and got lost in town.
There was Anchor Man impressions and chats along the way,
Anything to distract from the cold wind of the day.

On the first day the wind blew all the day long
Don't you worry us Triathletes, yes we stayed strong
When the temperatures dropped a few were in dismay,
But wind vests and arm warmers saved the day!

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the chip seal.
What the road was made of, and yes it's a BIG deal.
No matter what kind of shorts or seat is beneath you
Those special little parts hurt, and make you want to boo-hoo!

Talks on nutrition, open water and cycling.
Miss Maggie and I took notes while others did some imbibing.
I'm ready to race 140.6 miles.
And you better believe I will finish with a SMILE!!!

So here you go....the post you have been waiting for!!!

Camp freakin' ROCKED!! It was nice to have a weekend to just show up and train. I was in charge of no SAG, no meals, no cabin reservations. I showed up around 130 PM on Thursday at the Kerrville- Schreiner park, picked up my cabin key and got ready for a 3 PM run.

Thursday- The Guadalupe was not good to swim that evening so we did a core workout after the run. 45 minute solid run around the park we were staying in, a few challenging hills, but after driving 1.5 hours felt good to stretch the legs! At dinner we had a talk from Jamie on Race Nutrition and it was really helpful as I am trying to figure out exactly how I eat the day of my Ironman. After awhile the sugar gets to me. Looks like I will be packing some PB&J sandwhiches in my Special Needs. At least now, I have an idea of some things to try and I am going to do a sweat test soon so I know about how much I sweat out.

Friday- 900 AM departure time for a 41 mile bike ride. The terrain was beautiful, the wind was NOT. 21 mph winds and for some strange reason, it was NEVER at our backs. The 41 felt like 60 miles. Got back to the cabin, immediate transition into run...45 minutes. I felt good. Solid 9 min. miles on the run. Then some ART which felt awesome and time to put on the ole wetsuit for an Open Water Swim. As we all jumped in and got about 25 m out, the water was STIFLING cold...I mean...55 degrees cold. It stung everywhere and you wouldn't warm up like normal. Jamie and Andrea had us turn around and decided it wasn't a good idea to swim in that cold water. I was actually sad because I was looking forward to being in the open water. Oh well. Another weekend. That night we had dinner at the YO Ranch and had a talk about Carbo Loading from Jeff (one of the coaches) It was SUPER informative as well, he is the walking encyclopedia of nutrition knowledge. I am going to try a few things for my race in Galveston at the end of the month.

Saturday-830 Am departure for a 63 mile bike ride in Hill Country!! At mile 10 we came upon a hill that I have never seen before and I was determined to stay on my bike and take it easy getting up. As I watched others pop off there bike and a few fall over, I stayed focused and just concentrated on pushing down and pulling up....and I SUCCEEDED!! All the way to the top!!! Once Maggie, Scott and I finished this ride we got some more ART, ate a bit, had a beer and then rested up for Core workout (replace Swim) and an Open Water Clinic with Jamie & Andrea. A really great Clinic, I just wish we would have been in the water to work on some of the things...looks like Barton Springs and I have a date soon!!
After the clinic, time for a BBQ dinner and a cycling presentation with Susan. More great information on how to improve specific things in your cycling.

Went to bed...early....as the time change was that night and got enough sleep to get up for a 800 AM run. 1.5 hours for me...I made it out to the 5 mile water stop in 45 minutes. (solid 9 min mile, after 100 miles of cycling in 2 days...not bad!!) turned around and ran the 5 miles back in 42 minutes...so I was faster this time and I felt like I had more in me!!

That is what I am learning from Texas Iron is that you don't have to KILL yourself to train for an Ironman. You don't need to push to the max with every workout or you subject yourself to Injury or Burnout. Not worth it. It is still too early for that. Trust that the volume will come....it is right around the corner! Today is a day of REST!! Much deserved...and then tomorrow...yes Eric, I will be at the 545 AM swim with T3. ugh. No matter what the temp, I will be there.

Tuesday- swim & run workout
Wednesday- Core & trainer workout
Thursday- swim & run workout
Friday- swim workout
Saturday- 4.0 hour bike workout + 40 minute run
Sunday- 2.0 hour run & easy recovery swim

I love training right now!!!!

I will post a few pictures soon!! Camp rocked, I want to go this weekend.

5 comments:

Aldi26 said...

Now I want to go to camp! But I may skip the running and swimming and go for extra bike rides? Is that ok? :)

Woo hoo, the forecast is actually calling for temps above 40 degrees this week! I may actually be able to take my bike on the road soon.

triguyjt said...

Just found your blog.. enjoyed reading it ..and the camp seemed like an awesome experience...

june 22 is fast approaching, but I am sure you'll rock...

good luck

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

I'm envious!! Sounds like you had a great weekend...A little time away from the city and some great exercise. There is nothing better!!

See you at swim the a.m. You'll be lapping me :-)

Brian Kirk said...

welcome back to the grind :) i was forced to recover this week - work to NY has me side-lined for a few days :(

Me said...

No trainer workout with Texas Iron tonight? I'm actually going!