Sunday, February 17, 2008

1:55. Austin Half. Delivered.



***Disclaimer, I know my race reports are way more detailed. Mile by mile, yada yada yada, however, this race.....as you will see was more than mile by mile for me, it was a huge breakthrough of believing in who I am and what I can do. here it goes!!

Uh Huh. That's right. Having made the decision to just work for a solid Half (knowing that the Ironman will bring a Full Marathon, you know, after a small 112 mile bike ride, whatever.)....what a great day this was for me. Here is the back story friends, my PR was at the OUC Half back in um....2003, running a 1:48. I haven't been able to come close to that since dear old cancer of two years ago. Well today was my day. I just wanted under two hours, and I wanted it BAD. I have been working on attacking hills and I could hear coach Jeff in my head, "high knees Colleen, relax the shoulders" and each hill I encountered, I absolutely KILLED. I was excited to be passing people rather than just wanting the pain to be done. Today, February 17, 2008, I stopped doubting myself and what I can do. I didn't let the mental game play me, I played it and this time...I won!! I felt worn out at the end of this half, and I knew I left EVERYTHING out there on the course. Probably one of the most emotional finishes I have ever had, EVER.

I have this new found confidence for my big race in June and I could hear that kick ass Journey song in my head...."Don't Stop Believin'....Hold onto that feeling!! " yes friends, today rocked. Oh and by the way...OUC Half in 2003 pretty much flat, Austin Half, NOT flat, not even close to flat. So I am stronger...uh huh, I am!!

A few shout outs if I may....

My new friend Carrie for killing 20 miles today. She is doing Ironman AZ in April and had 20 miles today so she did 7 before the half and then ran the half. I actually ran into her before and after the race which was awesome! We have been keeping up with each other on our blogs....her link is to the right, Tri To Be Funny.

Mandy W. for taking on the full and totally rockin' it!! Way to go!!

Johnathan D. for finishing with a 3:25, so stinkin' proud of you, how do you get that fast? Man!!! You rock! Way to go!!! So proud of you man!! (insert High Five!!)

Desiree B., mother, wife, killer athlete, over-all smart & fun lady that also just happened to survive cancer. She rocks. 4 hour marathon. Way to go!!

And last but certainly not least...Miss Magzilla, FIRST Marathon, pulling a 3:50 on a tough course, running as a Gazelle! So glad I got to see you Finish!! Ironman CdA, here we come....you know what Maggie? Shake 'n' Bake!!!

3 comments:

Brian Kirk said...

way to attack those hills! sounds like a lot of fun for you today - congrats!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Hell...YES!!!! Fantastic run!!!

Me said...

Way to go, Colleen!